Tuesday 15 July 2008

1978, my favourite year, or was it?

I have always looked back on 78 as being my favourite year for music, but the more I research my fading memories the more I realise that 79 was damn good as well.

Let me first state the case for 78.

Patti Smith Group.........Because the night

The Jam..........................Down in a tube station at midnight

Buzzcocks........................Ever fallen in love

Talking Heads.................Psycho Killer

Elvis Costello...................Radio Radio

Blondie.............................Presence Dear

The Motors.....................Airport

The B52s.........................Rock lobster

The gang of four.............Damaged goods

Siouxsie and the Banshees....Hong Kong Garden

The Rezillos.....................Top of the pops

The Cars..........................My best friends girl

The Undertones.............Teenage Kicks

X-Ray Spex.....................The day the world turned day glo

X-Ray Spex.....................Identity

X-Ray Spex.....................Germ free adolescents

The Saints........................Know your product

The only ones..................Another girl, another planet

Penetration......................Firing squad

This is getting silly, I have just realised that I could probably sit here all day writing artists and tracks, must move on to 1979.

The Police........................Can't stand losing

The Dead Kennedys.......California Uber alles

The Specials AKA...........Gangsters

The Ramones..................I wanna be sedated

The Skids.........................Into the valley

The Members.................The sound of the suburbs

The Pretenders...............Stop all your sobbing

Dr Feelgood......................Milk and Alcohol

The Clash..........................London calling

Stiff little fingers..............Gotta gettaway

The Dickies.......................Banana splits

The Ruts...........................Babylons burning

The Ruts...........................Something that I said

The Ruts...........................Jah war

The UK subs....................Stranglehold

The Slits............................Typical Girls

The Tourists.....................I only want to be with you

This is just a little bit of food for thought.




Gladys Mitchell, "Mingled with venom" First pub' 1978 by Michael Joseph, p184, jacket/ Graham Rogers.

Gladys Mitchell, "Nest of vipers" First pub' 1979 by Michael Joseph, p192, jacket/Graham Rogers.

Again 1978 against 1979.

No comments: